Makes: 4 servings, about 2 cups each
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
This warm spinach-and-beet salad is inspired by a dish from Penny Cluse Café in Burlington, Vermont. If you have cooked beets on hand, you can have it ready in just a few minutes.
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sliced Kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups steamed beet wedges, or slices, 1/2-1 inch thick (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Place spinach in a large bowl.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until starting to soften, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, olives, parsley and garlic and cook, stirring, until the tomatoes begin to break down, about 3 minutes. Add beets, vinegar, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the beets are heated through, about 1 minute more. Add the beet mixture to the spinach and toss to combine. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
Tip: How to Prep & Steam Beets: Trim greens (if any) and root end; peel the skin with a vegetable peeler.
Cut beets into 1/2- to 1-inch-thick cubes, wedges or slices.
To steam on the stovetop: Place in a steamer basket over 1 inch of boiling water in a large pot. Cover and steam over high heat until tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
To steam in the microwave: Place in a glass baking dish, add 2 tablespoons water, cover tightly and microwave on High until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
No time to prep? Look for Melissa’s brand Peeled Baby Red Beets in the produce section of many supermarkets. They’re peeled, steamed and ready to eat and contain far less sodium than their canned counterparts.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Amount Per serving
- Calories 122
- % Daily values *
- 5% Saturated Fat 1g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Monounsaturated Fat 4g
- 0% Cholesterol 0mg
- 21% Potassium 729mg
- 15% Sodium 351mg
- 16% Dietary Fiber 4g
- 8% Protein 4g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
Recipe by EatingWell.com
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.