Makes: 1 dozen skewers
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 1/2 hours (including marinating time)
Although usually made with strips of chicken or beef, this Indonesian-style satay can be made with fresh broccoli and cauliflower florets. Hot Madras curry has a bit of a kick; use regular curry powder if you just want the flavor of curry but not the heat. To save time, look for broccoli and cauliflower already cut into florets in the produce section or at the salad bar of your supermarket.
- 24 broccoli florets, (about 10 ounces)
- 24 cauliflower florets (about 10 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger, or ginger juice (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon smooth natural peanut butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon hot Madras curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Add broccoli and cauliflower; cook until tender-crisp, about 3 minutes. Drain; rinse under cool water.
- Whisk soy sauce, vinegar, oil, ginger (or ginger juice), peanut butter, garlic, curry and salt in a large bowl until smooth. Add the florets; gently toss to coat. Let marinate at room temperature for at least 2 hours or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- To serve, thread 2 broccoli and 2 cauliflower florets onto each skewer. (Reserve marinade.) Arrange the skewers on a platter in a single layer and drizzle with the marinade.
Tips & Notes
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. | Equipment: 12 skewers
Note: We use bottled ginger juice (pressed gingerroot) to add the taste of fresh ginger without the work of mincing or grating. Use it to flavor drinks, stir-fries, marinades or anywhere you’d use fresh ginger. Find it in specialty stores or online at gingerpeople.com.
- Servings Per Recipe 12
- Amount Per skewer
- Calories 33
- % Daily values *
- 0% Saturated Fat 0g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Monounsaturated Fat 1g
- 0% Cholesterol 0mg
- 4% Potassium 157mg
- 4% Sodium 100mg
- 4% Dietary Fiber 1g
- 4% Protein 2g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
Recipe by EatingWell.com
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.