Makes: 12 servings, 1/2 cup each
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
In this recipe, Yukon Gold potatoes and sweet potatoes are roughly mashed together with leeks for a beautiful mottled white-and-orange take on mashed potatoes. The creme fraiche topping offers a tangy counterpoint.
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk, plus 2/3 cup, divided
- 2 tablespoons crème fraîche, or sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, or granulated onion
- Pinch of salt, plus 3/4 teaspoon, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 small leek, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced, white and light green parts only
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Combine 1 tablespoon buttermilk, crème fraîche (or sour cream), onion powder (or granulated onion) and pinch of salt. Cover and refrigerate while you cook the vegetables.
- Add potatoes, sweet potatoes and leek to the boiling water and return to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a vigorous simmer and cook until tender enough to pierce with a knife, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain and return the vegetables to the pan (off the heat).
- Add the remaining 2/3 cup buttermilk, the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, butter and pepper to the pan; coarsely mash with a potato masher. Serve topped with the sauce and chives.
Tips & Notes
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare sauce (Step 2) and vegetables (Steps 1 & 3), cover and refrigerate separately for up to 1 day. Reheat vegetables, covered, in the microwave or a double boiler before continuing with Step 4.
- Servings Per Recipe 12
- Amount Per serving
- Calories 117
- % Daily values *
- 5% Saturated Fat 1g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Monounsaturated Fat 1g
- 2% Cholesterol 6mg
- 9% Potassium 318mg
- 8% Sodium 190mg
- 8% Dietary Fiber 2g
- 4% Protein 2g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
Recipe by EatingWell.com
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.