Makes: 10 servings, plus leftovers
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 5 hours (plus 2 days)
This brisket recipe comes from Roberta Greenberg, the longtime assistant to the rabbis at Temple Emanu-El, a well-known New York City synagogue. Quivering cranberry slices that melt into the meat and slowly caramelize give this brisket its lovely character. Even better is that it takes so little effort for this sweet alchemy to work. Serve with latkes and roasted green beans drizzled with balsamic vinegar.
- 1 4- to 5-pound flat-cut beef brisket, untrimmed
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 large onions, peeled and cut into eighths
- 2 14-ounce cans jellied cranberry sauce, sliced
- Sprinkle both sides of brisket with garlic powder, salt, pepper and paprika. Tightly wrap the brisket with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 day.
- Preheat oven to 500°F.
- Unwrap the brisket and place in a roasting pan. Roast for 40 minutes, turning over halfway through. Remove the pan from the oven and reduce the temperature to 350°. Place onions under and around the brisket, then cover the top of it with cranberry sauce slices. Using caution (the pan will be very hot), tightly cover the pan with heavy-duty foil. Roast until fork-tender, about 3 hours more.
- Let the brisket cool in the pan. Scrape off the sauce (leave it in the pan) and transfer the brisket to a cutting board; trim the fat. Return the brisket to the pan and cover with the sauce. Cover the roasting pan and refrigerate overnight or up to 1 day.
- About 1 hour before you want to serve the brisket, preheat oven to 350°.
- Skim any congealed fat from the sauce. Cover the pan with foil. Heat the brisket for 20 minutes, then uncover and cook until hot and bubbling and the sauce has reduced a bit, 20 to 30 minutes more. Slice the brisket and serve with the sauce.
- Servings Per Recipe 10
- Amount Per 3-ounce serving
- Calories 280
- % Daily values *
- 10% Saturated Fat 2g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Monounsaturated Fat 3g
- 30% Cholesterol 89mg
- 9% Potassium 320mg
- 12% Sodium 289mg
- 4% Dietary Fiber 1g
- 60% Protein 30g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
Recipe by EatingWell.com
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.