Makes: 36 meatballs
Active Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour
These bite-size sweet-and-sour meatballs, drizzled with a pineapple- and soy-based sauce, make a great appetizer. Shredded carrot and finely diced pineapple keep the meatballs moist, while fresh ginger and Chinese five-spice powder amp up the flavor.
- 1 20-ounce can pineapple chunks
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallion whites
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces ground turkey breast
- 8 ounces ground pork
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup sliced scallion greens
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and coat with cooking spray.
- Drain pineapple juice into a small bowl. Whisk in vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, brown sugar, cornstarch and crushed red pepper. Set aside.
- Finely chop enough pineapple to yield 1/2 cup. Press out excess moisture with paper towels. Reserve the remaining pineapple chunks for the sauce.
- Lightly beat egg in a large bowl. Stir in carrot, scallion whites, ginger, five-spice powder, salt and the finely chopped pineapple. Add turkey and pork; gently mix to combine (do not overmix). Using a scant 1 tablespoon each, make 36 small meatballs. Bake on the prepared baking sheet until just cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add bell pepper and cook for 1 minute. Whisk the reserved juice mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the remaining pineapple and the cooked meatballs.
- To serve, thread a meatball and a piece of pineapple and/or pepper onto a small skewer or toothpick. Transfer to a platter, drizzle with sauce and sprinkle with scallion greens.
Tips & Notes
Make Ahead Tip: Freeze cooked meatballs in sauce airtight for up to 3 months. Defrost before reheating. Equipment: 36 short skewers or toothpicks
- Servings Per Recipe 36
- Amount Per skewer
- Calories 37
- % Daily values *
- 0% Saturated Fat 0g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Monounsaturated Fat 0g
- 4% Cholesterol 12mg
- 2% Potassium 76mg
- 4% Sodium 101mg
- 0% Dietary Fiber 0g
- 6% Protein 3g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
Recipe by EatingWell.com
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.