Makes: 4 servings
Active Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
This spicy rub of coriander, caraway and hot pepper is lovely on grilled chicken. If you prefer your food less spicy, reduce the amount of crushed red pepper.
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1-1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, (see Note)
- Grind coriander seeds, caraway seeds and crushed red pepper in a spice grinder (or mortar and pestle) until finely ground. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in garlic powder and salt.
- Coat both sides of chicken with the rub up to 30 minutes before grilling or broiling.
- Preheat grill to medium-high or position a rack in upper third of oven and preheat broiler.
- To grill: Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the chicken, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F, 4 to 8 minutes per side.
- To broil: Line a broiler pan (or baking sheet) with foil and coat with cooking spray. Place the chicken on the foil. Broil, watching carefully and turning at least once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F, 10 to 15 minutes total.
Tips & Notes
Make Ahead Tip: Store the rub in an airtight container for up to 3 months; coat the chicken with the rub up to 30 minutes before grilling or broiling.
Note: It’s difficult to find an individual chicken breast small enough for one portion. Removing the thin strip of meat from the underside of a 5-ounce breast—the chicken tender—removes about 1 ounce of meat and yields a perfect 4-ounce portion. Wrap and freeze the tenders and when you have gathered enough, use them in a stir-fry or for oven-baked chicken fingers.
Tip: Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to coat the food with cooking spray.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Amount Per serving
- Calories 131
- % Daily values *
- 5% Saturated Fat 1g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Monounsaturated Fat 1g
- 21% Cholesterol 63mg
- 7% Potassium 228mg
- 8% Sodium 195mg
- 4% Dietary Fiber 1g
- 46% Protein 23g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
Recipe by EatingWell.com
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.