Makes: 6 servings, 1 1/3 cups each
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
The slightly chewy texture of ruddy-red Wehani rice makes it perfect for salads. Serve it mounded on a bed of Boston lettuce or curly frisée.
- 1 cup Wehani brown rice, (see Note) or brown basmati rice
- 2-2 1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, or 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 15-ounce cans pinto beans, rinsed
- 8 scallions, trimmed and sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium bell pepper, (green, yellow, orange or red), chopped (about 1 cup)
- Combine rice and water (2 cups water if using brown basmati) in a 3-quart saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until all the water has been absorbed, 40 to 45 minutes. Remove from heat; let rest, covered, for 10 minutes. Spread the rice out on a large baking sheet until cooled to room temperature, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast cumin in a small skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant and lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes for seeds, 1 minute for ground cumin. Transfer to a blender or food processor and let cool for several minutes. Add oil, vinegar, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper and process until the garlic is finely chopped.
- Transfer the rice to a large bowl and toss with beans, scallions and bell pepper. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well to combine.
Tips & Notes
Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Note: Wehani rice, an aromatic brown rice related to basmati, has a sweet, nutty flavor, a light reddish color, and splits like wild rice when cooked. It can be found in the health-foods section of large supermarkets or at natural-foods stores.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Amount Per serving
- Calories 305
- % Daily values *
- 10% Saturated Fat 2g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Monounsaturated Fat 8g
- 0% Cholesterol 0mg
- 13% Potassium 442mg
- 5% Sodium 121mg
- 32% Dietary Fiber 8g
- 18% Protein 9g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
Recipe by EatingWell.com
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.