Makes: 8 servings
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
There’s no reason to get overly fussy with complicated techniques for a flavorful, rich and simple roast chicken, the ultimate comfort food.
- 1 small onion, peeled and quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and quartered
- 3 sprigs fresh tarragon
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 5-pound chicken, giblets removed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place onion, garlic, tarragon and thyme into the cavity of the chicken. Tie the legs together with kitchen string, mostly closing the cavity opening. Pull the wings so the tips overlap on top of the breast; tie in place, wrapping string around the wings and body. Rub the chicken with oil, salt and pepper. Set in a roasting pan, breast-side down.
- Roast the chicken for 25 minutes. Turn breast-side up and continue roasting, basting occasionally with pan juices, until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, without touching bone, registers 175°F, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. Transfer to a cutting board; let rest for 10 minutes. Remove the string before carving.
Tips & Notes
Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Kitchen string
1. Very cold meat won’t roast evenly. Place it on the counter while preheating the oven.
2. Durable cotton kitchen string is sold at kitchenware stores, most gourmet markets and large supermarkets. Do not use sewing thread or yarn, which may contain inedible dyes or unsavory chemicals.
3. A heavy-duty, high-sided roasting pan is essential for conducting heat evenly. Never substitute a cookie sheet. A broiler pan will work in a pinch, but the roast will inevitably be somewhat chewier.
4. Give it a rest. A roast’s internal temperature will rise about 10 degrees while resting. The natural juices will also reincorporate into the meat’s fibers and the skin or crust will dry out slightly for a more toothsome yet more succulent dinner.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Amount Per 3-ounce serving (without skin)
- Calories 294
- % Daily values *
- 10% Saturated Fat 2g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Monounsaturated Fat 5g
- 50% Cholesterol 150mg
- 16% Potassium 575mg
- 19% Sodium 465mg
- 0% Dietary Fiber 0g
- 94% Protein 47g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
Recipe by EatingWell.com
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.