Makes: 4 servings
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
A simple sauce of piquant green peppercorns, lemon juice and butter top this seared salmon recipe. Green peppercorns come from the same plant as black ones, but are harvested before they mature. Typically packed in vinegar, they have a refreshingly sharp flavor. Look for them near the capers in most supermarkets. Serve with smashed red potatoes and sautéed kale.
- 1 1/4 pounds wild salmon fillet, (see Tip), skinned and cut into 4 portions
- 1/4 teaspoon plus a pinch of salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon green peppercorns in vinegar, rinsed and crushed
- Sprinkle salmon pieces with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the salmon and cook until just opaque in the center, gently turning halfway, 4 to 7 minutes total. Divide among 4 plates. Remove the pan from the heat and immediately add lemon juice, butter, peppercorns and the remaining pinch of salt; swirl the pan carefully to incorporate the butter into the sauce. Top each portion of fish with sauce (about 2 teaspoons each).
Tips & Notes
Tips: Wild-caught salmon from the Pacific (Alaska and Washington) is considered the best choice for the environment because it is more sustainably fished and has a larger, more stable population. Farmed salmon, including Atlantic, should be avoided, as it endangers the wild salmon population.
To skin salmon, place fillet on a clean cutting board, skin side down. Starting at the tail end, slip the blade of a long, sharp knife between the fish flesh and the skin, holding the skin down firmly with your other hand. Gently push the blade along at a 30° angle, separating the fillet from the skin without cutting through either.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Amount Per serving
- Calories 226
- % Daily values *
- 20% Saturated Fat 4g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Monounsaturated Fat 4g
- 25% Cholesterol 76mg
- 16% Potassium 543mg
- 11% Sodium 269mg
- 0% Dietary Fiber 0g
- 56% Protein 28g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
Recipe by EatingWell.com
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.