Makes: 4 servings, about 1 1/4 cups each
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Also known as palak paneer, saag paneer is an Indian classic composed mostly of spinach and paneer—a cow’s-milk cheese that is curdled then pressed until firm. Here, we substitute tofu for the cheese and incorporate low-fat yogurt and sliced onions for a healthier version that retains its authenticity.
- 1 14-ounce package water-packed firm tofu, drained
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 pound baby spinach
- 1 cup low-fat or nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Cut tofu into thirds lengthwise and eighths crosswise. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring gently every 2 to 3 minutes, until browned on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan and reduce heat to medium. Add onion, garlic, ginger and mustard seeds and cook until the onion is translucent, 4 to 6 minutes. Add spinach in batches small enough to fit in the pan and cook, stirring frequently, until all the spinach has been added and has wilted, 4 to 6 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, combine yogurt, curry powder, cumin and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Add to the pan along with the tofu and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Amount Per serving
- Calories 195
- % Daily values *
- 10% Saturated Fat 2g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Monounsaturated Fat 5g
- 1% Cholesterol 4mg
- 28% Potassium 987mg
- 24% Sodium 583mg
- 16% Dietary Fiber 4g
- 30% Protein 15g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
Recipe by EatingWell.com
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.