Makes: 6 servings, about 1 1/3 cups each
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
We took the tangy fresh flavors of tabbouleh and paired them with smoky tofu and quinoa to create a main-dish salad that’s perfect served on a bed of greens. This salad is jam-packed with heart-healthy ingredients—whole grains (quinoa), legumes (soy-based tofu) and plenty of vegetables.
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 6- or 8-ounce package baked smoked tofu, (see Tip), diced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- Bring water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add quinoa and return to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until the water has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Spread the quinoa on a baking sheet to cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk lemon juice, oil, garlic, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the cooled quinoa, tofu, bell pepper, tomatoes, cucumber, parsley and mint; toss well to combine.
Tips & Notes
Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 day.
Tips: Quinoa is a delicately flavored, protein-rich grain. Rinsing removes any residue of saponin, quinoa’s natural, bitter protective covering. Find it in natural-foods stores and the natural-foods sections of many supermarkets.
Precooked “baked tofu” is firmer than water-packed tofu and comes in a wide variety of flavors. You might also like flavored baked tofu on a sandwich or in a stir-fry.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Amount Per serving
- Calories 245
- % Daily values *
- 5% Saturated Fat 1g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Monounsaturated Fat 6g
- 0% Cholesterol 0mg
- 14% Potassium 502mg
- 16% Sodium 374mg
- 20% Dietary Fiber 5g
- 20% Protein 10g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
Recipe by EatingWell.com
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.