Makes: 6 servings, about 1 1/3 cups each
Active Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Lots of tangy lemon, fresh tomatoes, escarole and shrimp create an incredible sauce for whole-wheat pasta. Serve with a glass of Sauvignon Blanc and whole-grain bread.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat linguine
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound peeled and deveined raw shrimp, (16-20 per pound)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 16 cups thinly sliced escarole, (2-3 heads) or chard leaves
- 1/4 cup clam juice, or water (see Shopping Tip)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 lemon wedges, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook linguine until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat 3 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook until pink and curled, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add garlic and the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add wine and cook until reduced by half, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes. Add escarole (or chard) in handfuls, stirring until it wilts before adding more; cook, stirring occasionally, until the greens are tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Whisk clam juice (or water) and cornstarch in a small bowl then add to the pan; simmer until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Return the shrimp and any accumulated juices to the pan, add lemon juice, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper and cook until heated through, about 1 minute.
- Drain the linguine and return it to the pot. Add the sauce; toss to coat. Serve with lemon wedges.
Tips & Notes
Shopping Tip: Some bottled clam juices are very high in sodium, so salt the recipe accordingly. We like the Bar Harbor brand (120 mg sodium per 2-ounce serving). Look for it with the canned fish or in the seafood department of your supermarket.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Amount Per serving
- Calories 271
- % Daily values *
- 5% Saturated Fat 1g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Monounsaturated Fat 3g
- 37% Cholesterol 112mg
- 21% Potassium 751mg
- 21% Sodium 502mg
- 40% Dietary Fiber 10g
- 40% Protein 20g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
Recipe by EatingWell.com
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.