Makes: 1 dozen muffins
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
These lemony cranberry-studded muffins crunch lightly with cornmeal and are topped with a kiss of sugared lemon zest. They’re great warm from the oven, but also keep well for a few days and freeze beautifully.
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 3 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups white whole-wheat flour, (see Note)
- 1/2 cup cornmeal, preferably medium or fine stone-ground
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups cranberries, fresh or frozen (thawed), coarsely chopped (see Tip)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 (1/2-cup) muffin cups with cooking spray or line with paper liners.
- Whisk 1/2 cup sugar, yogurt, oil, egg, 2 teaspoons lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla in a medium bowl.
- Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add the yogurt mixture and fold until almost blended. Gently fold in cranberries. Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Combine the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and remaining 1 teaspoon lemon zest in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over the tops of the muffins.
- Bake the muffins until golden brown and they spring back lightly to the touch, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
Make Ahead Tip: Individually wrap in plastic and freeze in a freezer bag for up to 1 month. To reheat frozen muffins, remove plastic, wrap muffin in a paper towel and microwave on High for 30 to 60 seconds. | Equipment: Muffin tin with 12 (1/2-cup) cups
Note: White whole-wheat flour, made from a special variety of white wheat, is light in color and flavor but has the same nutritional properties as regular whole-wheat flour. It is available at large supermarkets and natural-foods stores and online at bobsredmill.com or kingarthurflour.com. Store it in the freezer.
Tip: To make quick work of chopping cranberries, place whole berries in a food processor and pulse a few times until the berries are coarsely chopped
- Servings Per Recipe 12
- Amount Per muffin
- Calories 187
- % Daily values *
- 5% Saturated Fat 1g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Monounsaturated Fat 4g
- 6% Cholesterol 18mg
- 3% Potassium 96mg
- 11% Sodium 254mg
- 12% Dietary Fiber 3g
- 8% Protein 4g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
Recipe by EatingWell.com
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.