Makes: 4 servings
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Garlicky mushrooms spiked with bacon make a lovely garnish for halibut and polenta. We can’t decide what we like best about this dish: the flavors, healthfulness, ease or the fact that there is so little cleanup! Serve with steamed green beans tossed with olive oil, whole-grain mustard and a squeeze of lemon.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 slices center-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces sliced mixed mushrooms
- 1/4 cup white wine, preferably Pinot Grigio
- 1 14- to 18-ounce tube prepared polenta, sliced into 8 rounds
- 4 5-ounce halibut, or cod fillets (see Tip), skinned
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Tear off 4 sheets of parchment paper or foil (about 12 by 24 inches each); if using foil, coat with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until softened and starting to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and cook until beginning to brown, 4 to 7 minutes. Add wine and scrape up any browned bits. Remove from the heat.
- To make packets, set a sheet of parchment or foil with a long side closest to you. Fold in half from a short end, then open like a book. Place 2 slices of polenta on one side. Set a fillet on the polenta and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Divide the mushroom mixture among the packets, spooning it over the fish. Close the packets and seal the edges with small, tight folds.
- Place the packets on a large baking sheet. Bake the packets until the fish is just cooked through, about 14 minutes. (Carefully open one packet to check for doneness—be cautious of the steam.) Set each packet on its own plate. Cut an X in the top with scissors and carefully fold open. Serve sprinkled with basil.
Tips & Notes
Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Parchment paper or foil
Tip: Overfishing and trawling have drastically reduced the number of cod in the U.S. and Canadian Atlantic Ocean and destroyed its sea floor. For sustainably fished cod, choose U.S. Pacific cod or Atlantic cod from Iceland and the northeast Arctic. For more information, visit Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch at seafoodwatch.org.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Amount Per serving
- Calories 276
- % Daily values *
- 10% Saturated Fat 2g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Monounsaturated Fat 5g
- 25% Cholesterol 76mg
- 26% Potassium 905mg
- 24% Sodium 569mg
- 4% Dietary Fiber 1g
- 64% Protein 32g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
Recipe by EatingWell.com
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.