Makes: 6 servings
Active Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Delicious warm white beans and fennel are topped with succulent fennel-seed-crusted salmon for a double hit of flavor. For an extra-fresh look, set aside some additional chopped fennel fronds to use as a garnish.
- 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 bulb fennel, halved, cored and thinly sliced, plus 1 tablespoon chopped fennel fronds
- 2 15-ounce cans white beans, rinsed
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 pound salmon fillet, skin removed (see Tip), cut into 2 portions
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add sliced fennel; cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Stir in beans, tomatoes and wine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes begin to break down, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; stir in chopped fennel fronds, mustard and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, combine fennel seeds and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl; sprinkle evenly on both sides of salmon.
- Wipe out the pan. Add the remaining 3 teaspoons oil to the pan and heat over high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add the salmon, skinned-side up, and cook until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Turn the salmon over, cover and remove from the heat. Let stand until the salmon finishes cooking off the heat, 3 to 5 minutes more. Transfer the salmon to a cutting board and flake with a fork. Serve salmon on top of the warm bean mixture.
Tips & Notes
Tip: To skin a salmon fillet: Place it on a clean cutting board, skin-side down. Starting at the tail end, slip the blade of a long knife between the fish flesh and the skin, holding the skin down firmly with your other hand. Gently push the blade along at a 30 degree angle, separating the fillet from the skin without cutting through either.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Amount Per serving
- Calories 326
- % Daily values *
- 15% Saturated Fat 3g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Monounsaturated Fat 6g
- 14% Cholesterol 42mg
- 0% Potassium 1 020mg
- 19% Sodium 464mg
- 36% Dietary Fiber 9g
- 50% Protein 25g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
Recipe by EatingWell.com
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.