Makes: 8 servings, generous 1/2 cup filling each
Active Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Our updated Sloppy Joe takes lean ground beef and adds chopped cremini mushrooms and diced fresh plum tomatoes, all in a zesty sauce. Served on a whole-wheat bun, it’s a hearty dinner sandwich that will please adults and kids alike.
- 12 ounces 90%-lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 cups finely chopped cremini mushrooms, (about 4 ounces)
- 5 plum tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup chili sauce, such as Heinz
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 8 whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted if desired
- Crumble beef into a large nonstick skillet; cook over medium heat until it starts to sizzle, about 1 minute. Add onion and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until the vegetables are soft and the moisture has evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and flour; stir to combine. Stir in water, vinegar, chili sauce and ketchup and bring to a simmer, stirring often. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened and the onion is very tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve warm on buns.
Tips & Notes
Make Ahead Tip: The filling will keep in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Amount Per serving
- Calories 233
- % Daily values *
- 10% Saturated Fat 2g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Monounsaturated Fat 2g
- 9% Cholesterol 28mg
- 14% Potassium 504mg
- 18% Sodium 436mg
- 20% Dietary Fiber 5g
- 28% Protein 14g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
Recipe by EatingWell.com
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.