Makes: 4 servings
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Cranberries can be momentary pleasures, just around for late autumn - that is, unless you think to stock ahead. Buy a packet or two for the freezer so you can make this quick supper all year long. (Or out of season, look for frozen whole cranberries in the freezer case of your local market.) Recipe by Nancy Baggett for EatingWell.
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 4 boneless pork loin chops, (1-1 1/4 pounds), trimmed of fat
- 2/3 cup cranberry juice cocktail, or orange juice
- 2 1/2-3 tablespoons clover or other mild honey
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen, thawed, coarsely chopped (see Tip)
- Mix thyme and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a small bowl. Sprinkle both sides of pork chops with the thyme mixture.
- Stir cranberry juice and 2 1/2 tablespoons honey in a 1-cup glass measure until well blended.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the chops and cook until browned on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Push the chops to one side of the pan, add onion to the empty half and cook, stirring, until the onion is soft and beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour half the juice mixture into the pan. Add cranberries. Reduce heat to medium and cook, turning the chops occasionally, until cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer the chops to a serving plate and tent with foil to keep warm. Add the remaining juice mixture to the pan. Increase heat to high and cook until the mixtures reduces to form a syrupy sauce, about 2 minutes. Season with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper and up to an additional 1/2 tablespoon honey to taste. Spoon the sauce over the chops.
Tips & Notes
Tip: To make quick work of chopping cranberries, place whole berries in a food processor and pulse a few times until the berries are coarsely chopped.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Amount Per serving
- Calories 277
- % Daily values *
- 10% Saturated Fat 2g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Monounsaturated Fat 4g
- 28% Cholesterol 83mg
- 11% Potassium 401mg
- 8% Sodium 203mg
- 4% Dietary Fiber 1g
- 54% Protein 27g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
Recipe by EatingWell.com
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.