Makes: 6 servings, 1 1/3 cups each
Active Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 1/2 hours
Zucchini, onion, tomatoes and bell peppers stud this paella-inspired rice dish. You may add other vegetables, such as mushrooms and peas, or if you like something heartier, some slightly spicy Italian sausage is a good choice.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small dried red chile pepper, such as chile de arbol, broken
- 1 medium onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon paprika, preferably Spanish
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 cups short-grain white rice, preferably Valencia (see Tip)
- 3 cups vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
- 6 lemon wedges, for garnish
- Heat oil in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add chile pepper, onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until the onion is soft but not browned, about 6 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, zucchini, bell peppers, paprika, thyme, salt and pepper; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Add rice; stir to coat well with the tomato mixture. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the rice is tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve hot directly from the pan, garnished with parsley and lemon wedges, if desired.
Tips & Notes
Tip: Valencia rice (sometimes called paella rice) is Spanish-grown, short-grain rice classically used when making paella. It differs from other short-grain rice because of its ability to absorb moisture without breaking down. When fully cooked, the individual grains of rice remain whole. ’Bomba’ is the best variety. Find it in specialty markets or online at tienda.com. Arborio rice can be used as a substitute, but yields a creamier dish.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Amount Per serving
- Calories 211
- % Daily values *
- 5% Saturated Fat 1g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Monounsaturated Fat 4g
- 0% Cholesterol 0mg
- 12% Potassium 427mg
- 18% Sodium 433mg
- 16% Dietary Fiber 4g
- 8% Protein 4g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
Recipe by EatingWell.com
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.