Makes: 12 servings
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 9 1/2 hours (including 8 hours refrigeration time)
This baked apple-cinnamon French toast can be prepared in advance and then simply popped in the oven for a leisurely and luxurious weekend morning. By using nonfat instead of whole milk and eliminating the egg yolks, the calories are cut by half and the fat is reduced by nearly 80 percent in our griddle-free version.
- 3 cups nonfat milk
- 2 cups pasteurized liquid egg whites, such as Egg Beaters
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1-pound loaf sliced whole-wheat bread
- 1 cup chopped dried apples, (3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- Whisk milk, egg whites, honey, vanilla and salt in a large bowl.
- Trim crusts off 8 bread slices and set aside. Cut the crusts and the remaining bread into 1-inch pieces. Toss with dried apples, raisins, cinnamon and nutmeg in another large bowl.
- Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Transfer the bread mixture to the pan. Lay the reserved crustless slices evenly on top, trimming to fit. Whisk the milk mixture one more time, then pour evenly over the bread. Press the bread down with the back of a wooden spoon, making sure it’s evenly moist. Cover with parchment paper, then foil, and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake the casserole, covered, for 40 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until puffed, set and lightly browned, about 20 minutes more. Let stand for 10 minutes; dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve.
Tips & Notes
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3 and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- Servings Per Recipe 12
- Amount Per serving
- Calories 183
- % Daily values *
- 0% Saturated Fat 0g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Monounsaturated Fat 1g
- 0% Cholesterol 1mg
- 9% Potassium 313mg
- 14% Sodium 344mg
- 16% Dietary Fiber 4g
- 20% Protein 10g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
Recipe by EatingWell.com
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.