Makes: 4 servings, 2 pancakes & 2 tablespoons syrup each.
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
If you like apple pancakes and you like bacon, you’ll love the taste of these sweet, smoky pancakes. Any kind of apple works well. A quick cider syrup drizzled on top enhances the apple flavor.
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 1 medium apple, peeled and finely diced, (about 1 cup)
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 teaspoon canola oil, divided
- Combine cider, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, lemon juice and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking, and cook until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and the remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar in a small bowl. Whisk egg, egg white and buttermilk in a large bowl. Stir in the dry ingredients, apples and bacon until just combined. (The batter will be thick.)
- Brush a large nonstick skillet with 1/2 teaspoon oil and place over medium heat until hot. Cooking 4 at a time, use about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake and gently spread it to make them about 3 inches in diameter. Cook until the edges are dry and bubbles begin to form, about 2 minutes. Flip the pancakes and cook until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes more. Repeat with the remaining oil and batter, reducing the heat as necessary to prevent burning. Reheat the cider syrup, if desired, and serve with the pancakes.
Tips & Notes
Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the syrup (Step 1) for up to 1 week. Reheat on low before serving.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Amount Per serving
- Calories 261
- % Daily values *
- 10% Saturated Fat 2g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Monounsaturated Fat 3g
- 21% Cholesterol 62mg
- 4% Potassium 141mg
- 19% Sodium 463mg
- 8% Dietary Fiber 2g
- 18% Protein 9g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
Recipe by EatingWell.com
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.