Makes: 12 (2-inch) balls
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
These popcorn balls are made with agave nectar and peanut butter and are spiked with chocolate-covered pretzels and dried cherries for a special treat. Try making them for your next holiday party.
- 6 heaping cups popped corn
- 1/4 cup agave nectar (see Note) or honey
- 1/4 cup creamy natural peanut butter or almond butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dark chocolate-covered pretzels
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dried cherries
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper. Prepare a medium bowl of ice water.
- Put popcorn in a large bowl.
- Combine agave (or honey) and peanut butter (or almond butter) in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring gently but constantly. As soon as the mixture starts to lightly bubble, cook, stirring constantly, for 15 seconds more.
- Immediately pour the mixture evenly over the popcorn; gently mix with a wooden spoon or spatula until well coated. Gently stir in dark chocolate-covered pretzels and finely chopped dried cherries.
- Dip both hands in the ice water. Working quickly, press small handfuls (heaping 1/4 cup each) of the popcorn mixture firmly into 2-inch balls. (Make sure each ball gets a little bit of the pretzels and dried cherries.) Place the balls on the prepared baking sheet. If they seem too fragile, rinse hands with cold water and press and squeeze each ball again to help keep it together.
- Let cool completely before storing. To store, individually wrap in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container.
Tips & Notes
Agave syrup or nectar is the naturally sweet juice extracted from the agave plant. It has a lower glycemic index and is lower in calories than table sugar, but is even sweeter. Use it in moderation when substituting for table sugar. Look for it near other sweeteners in health food stores and well-stocked supermarkets.
- Servings Per Recipe 12
- Amount Per ball
- Calories 89
- % Daily values *
- 5% Saturated Fat 1g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Monounsaturated Fat 0g
- 0% Cholesterol 0mg
- 1% Potassium 18mg
- 1% Sodium 34mg
- 4% Dietary Fiber 1g
- 4% Protein 2g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
Recipe by EatingWell.com
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.